Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Titans fire offensive coordinator Chow

January 15, 2008
By JIM WYATTStaff Writer
The Titans have fired offensive coordinator Norm Chow after three seasons.

The Titans finished 21st in the NFL in total offense last season under Chow, who said Coach Jeff Fisher delivered the news by phone.

“I’m as shocked as the next guy,’’ Chow said Tuesday. “He said he wanted to go in a different direction."

Coach Jeff Fisher released a statement:

“Over the last week, we have done a lot of self-evaluation and I think we still have work ahead of us to reach our ultimate goal. I have informed Norm that he will not be retained as our offensive coordinator. I appreciate all of the hard work and contributions he made to the organization during his time here, but I have decided to go in a different direction and will start the process of finding a new offensive coordinator. We wish Norm and his family the best in their future endeavors.”

Chow, who had recently signed a two-year contract extension with the Titans, left town last week and has spent the last few days with his family in California. He was scheduled to return to Nashville before heading with the Titans coaching staff to Mobile, Ala., for Senior Bowl practices.

The 61-year-old coach said he’s unsure what he’ll do now. His name has been mentioned as a possibility for the offensive coordinator’s position at UCLA, where he earlier interviewed for the head coaching job that went to Rick Neuheisel.

“I don’t know what I am going to do,’’ Chow said. “I’m disappointed. I didn’t see this coming. No one had said a word about any of this until all of a sudden … I made a lot of good friends there.’’

Asked if he thought the next offensive coaching staff could make things work with quarterback Vince Young, who threw nine touchdowns and 17 interceptions last season, Chow replied: “Obviously Jeff didn’t think that I could. I thought I was. That’s the thing. I don’t know… but it’s going to take some patience.’’

The Titans had the NFL's 27th-ranked passing offense this season, one year after Young was the league's offensive rookie of the year.

Young was blindsided by the news of Chow's firing, according to a representative.“He was shocked,’’ said Mike Mu, Young's marketing agent.

“I broke the news to him. He thought I was kidding him and didn’t believe it.’’

No comments: